Monday, June 22, 2009

For you, a thousand times over.. =)

I've finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, a New York Times bestseller. And the book is the best i've read in this sem break.
I managed to read 4 novels but the one that got me stuck to it was this one.
I bought the book because it was a bestseller and i remembered reading a good review about it somewhere.Even after i've bought it, i left it aside until i've read the other novels. But once i've started reading, i was really stuck to it.
It's a riveting story, narrated by an Afghanistan boy, from his childhood until he grew up.
The story was set in Afghanistan, from its pre-Russian-invasion until the reigns of the Talibans. And as the story unfolds, the setting changed from Afghanistan to the US.
Initially, i thought this novel would be politics based but i was wrong.
It is a book rich with Afghan culture and tradition, the differences between the different ethnic groups and life in Afghanistan over the years.
A heartbreaking tale of friendship and betrayal, of a son yearning for his father's affection. I would say that this book is a must read.
It gave me an insight of Afghanistan and surprisingly, suddenly i was interested in Afghanistan, from the history to the culture to the geography, which led me to the destruction of Bamiyan, a heritage site that has been forever destroyed. Haha. Guess what? All i've been surfing about for the past few days have been all about Afghanistan and i am surprised to actually find that it used to be a beautiful place before the war broke out.
Anyway, a quote from the book that i like " For you, a thousand times over.. " =)
p/s: For the other novels that i've read, I liked "Sundays at Tiffany's" by James Patterson but the ending was a bit off for me.. i didn't like the way they end it. "The Cupid Effect" by Dorothy Koomson was =.=.. I didn't quite grasp the message that the author wanted to send across. "My Best Friend's Girl" also by Dorothy Koomson was quite a good book too. =)
-1 Ling-

2 comments:

DaVIdnG said...

u should write a book on malaysia, wan ling..

yen nee said...

yeah, this book is really awesome!!!