Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dongzhi. =)

It's dongzhi. Marking the end of the year.
I don't really get myself involve in the process of making tang yuans every year since i started college i think..
Partially because mum and gramps usually made them together at gramps place.. and i will stand and watch instead of helping.. hehehe..
and partially cause i think i've grown out of the stage where i enjoyed playing with dough anymore.. XD
and i think for the recent years.. gramps hasn't been making tang yuans.. my aunt has been making them instead..
Anyway.. dongzhi is suppose to bring the family together..
汤圆.团圆. =)
and this year.. without mum and gramps home.. somehow.. it feels like there's something missing.. after all they are the two main tang yuan makers.. XD
I am not a rice ball fan.. i kind of dislike the chewing gum like texture.. and i don't usually eat them.. so whether having tang yuans to eat or not doesn't matter much to me.. but somehow.. not seeing my family make tang yuans together seems weird..
When i was little.. i remember liking dongzhi.. i get excited when gramps starts getting out the flour.. the dye and starts kneading.. i've always thought that maybe one day.. i'll be able to make my own tang yuans..
*yeah rite.. 10 years later.. i'm still unable to do it.. =.= *
It was always enjoyable to watch how gramps kneads the dough as she tells me how much water to put.. how long to knead and all.. I.. at that age.. only watch and nod.. and after kneading she will pinch out small lumps of dough for me to roll into balls.. When we're done, I always feel the sense of satisfaction looking at a whole table full of rice balls with assorted colours.. =) memories.
Now that i'm 21.. and my family isn't so into dongzhi for the recent years..
I am surprised to find myself envying my friends who are so into it..
I see pictures on facebook of tang yuan making.. I see.. blog entries on tang yuans..
I even have someone wishing me happy dongzhi.. makes me feel like i'm missing out on all the fun.. =(
hmm.. maybe next year.. next year.. i'll make sure i join in the fun of tang yuan making.. =)
Happy Dongzhi peeps. =)

-1 Ling-

No comments: